Urban Water supply and sanitation Division
The Urbanl Water Supply and Sanitation Division is headed by a Director, and have three Sections, each is headed by an Assistant Director.
The main functions of the division will be as follows:
- Advising on the formulation and revision of the national water policy and policy implementation strategies, and in particular aspects of the policy and strategies that pertain to urban water supply and sewerage services.
- Promoting the development and provision of commercial water and sewerage services in accordance with the national water policy and strategies.
- Monitoring the implementation of commercial water supply and sewerage development programmes.
- Providing technical and financial support to the operations of commercial water supply and sewerage authorities.
- Monitoring the performance of commercial water supply and sewerage authorities.
The Urbanl Water Supply and Sanitation (UWSS) Division is also responsible for ensuring adequate provision of water supply and sewerage services in all Urban Centres, Peri-Urban and Small Towns in the country.
Currently the water supply coverage in urban centres is 74% while the sewerage service in towns and cities, coverage is 17%. The sewerage coverage enables about 25% of the wastewater generated daily to be collected and disposed through sewerage systems.