Water Quality Services Division
Water Quality Services Division is headed by Director and has the responsibility to provide expertise and services on issues pertinent to Water Quality Management. The Division has a network of 16 Water Quality Laboratories in the country. These are located in Arusha, Bukoba, Dar es Salaam, Dodoma, Iringa, Kigoma, Mbeya, Morogoro, Mtwara, Mwanza, Musoma, Singida, Shinyanga, Songea, Sumbawanga, and Tanga. Also the division has Defluoridation Research Centre at Ngurdoto, Arusha
- To provide inputs in formulation of water policies, standards, guidelines, legislations and strategies in water quality management and water laboratories;
- To prepare and provide various information of water quality management;
- To undertake water quality research and advise; and
- To provide technical advise to water treatment facilities and chemical quality certification.
The division is comprise of three sections namely:
- Water Quality Assessment Operations.
- Quality Assurance and Water Quality Standards.
- Technical Support, Research and Development.
The activities of the above sections are as follows:
a. Water Quality Assessment Operations:
- Provide input in preparation of water quality policies, standards, legislations and guidelines related to water quality assurance;
- Coordinate and provide guidance on water quality monitoring (including waste water and atmospheric deposition), surveillance and survey;
- Prepare and maintain water quality assessment data base and disseminate information;
- Assess and provide certification of compliance to standards; and
- To advise on planning and implementation of water quality assessment.
b. Quality Assurance and Water Quality Standards:
- Provide input in preparation of water quality policies, legislations and guidelines related to quality assurance and water standards;
- Prepare and review guidelines and standards on field and laboratory operation protocols and supervise to ensure adherence;
- Manage programs on quality assessment and control;
- Supervise accreditation process for water laboratories; and
- Advise on the review and updating of standards of water quality and effluent;
- Provide laboratory services to the public and private sector relating to the assessment of water and wastewater quality and quality of water treatment chemicals;
- Conduct tests on water treatment chemicals and certifying their quality;
- Provide technical advise to industries on proper treatment of industrial effluent for controlling water pollution;
- Coordinate provision of evidence of water sources polluters.
c. Technical Support, Research and Development:
- Carry out research and provide input in preparation of water quality policies, standards, legislations and guidelines;
- Provide guidance on management of in-house research activities and ensure dissemination of research findings;
- Provide guidance on management of in-house chemical waste and obsolete chemicals;
- Ensure implementation of field and laboratory safety programs;
- Provide advise on water treatment processes, testing of treatment chemicals and certification; and
- Provide technical advice to water treatment plant operators with regard to chemical dosing.